miércoles, 31 de octubre de 2018

End of the Month Garden View - October, 2018

I had thought that I might be a bit more motivated to get things done in the garden if I posted monthly photos of the garden's progress.  Accountability, I say!  It also gives me a good excuse to pay attention to my garden at the end of the month, which is always hectic at work because the biomedical journal I translate runs on an end-of-the-month deadline.

However, it has been cloudy and rainy for the past 5 days, and I thought I would never get any decent photos today.  But, Mother Nature cooperated, and the sun breached through the clouds for just five minutes, and I ran outside to get some quick pictures.

View from the back porch, with new pergola below
I still don't have the heart to call the back part of the property a "garden".  I mean, all there is are a few random trees that are still growing in and little else.  While it is mainly overrun with our native stipa, which I actually like, there is really not much of interest going on here, and I find it a bit embarrassing.  It is just horrible, horrible soil, and the ammending process is slow, arduous, and unsatisfying.  The battle will continue.


Looking south

View from south-eastern side
Just a few meters over from the previous photo is an area that is doing a bit better because we created a sort of earth berm so that the neighbor's rainfall would not keep encroaching on our property.  Here, I added 5 cypress trees, an ornamental pear and a gingko to provide privacy from the neighboring lot and street.


Trufa's favorite perch

Front garden

The front garden is a much happier place.  Right now, the chrysanthemums are in bloom, the abelia have turned red, and the fraxinus rubra is also turning.  My plans for this weekend include cleaning up the last of the pruning pile and transplanting lots of the rooted creeping rosemary and irises to the back yard.  Free plants fit well within my budget. 

The missing chair cushion was torn apart by pigeons.

Ah, yes, the basketball hoop: the ultimate test of any plant.

On the right, some newly added salvia and carex



Have you made any progress in your garden this month?


I am cross-posting with The Patient Gardener for the end-of-the-month meme.

4 comentarios:

  1. I’m just wondering what part of Spain you are living in? There’s a wonderful view from your back garden. You can see for miles. Very pretty front garden too. All the best with your gardening. Karen

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hello, Karen! I live in Castilla-LaMancha, which is in central Spain, with Madrid to the north and Andalusia to the south. More specfically, I live about half an hour south of Toledo, in the hill country known as the Montes de Toledo. Thanks for visiting!

      Eliminar
  2. Dear Karin,
    I just added my name to the followers list, so I don't miss anything of your Spanish garden! I think it looks really nice. After your successful front garden it is time to focus on the back garden. I see a pergola so everything will follow after that first attempt. I am looking forward to great new plans, flowers, roses, grasses and many poppies! groetjes,
    Hetty

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hetty, you are too kind! I admit that the back garden is overwhelming because the soil is so poor and not deep enough for planting. Plus, it is in full sun and receives lots of wind, which is more drying than the sun. Right now, I am moving rocks around to try to make raise beds that I can fill with ammended soil. It Will be a very slow process, so I hope you are a very patient person!

      Eliminar