lunes, 7 de enero de 2019

In A Vase On Monday - Wreath

OK, so I am cheating.  I have not prepared a vase, and the holiday season is over, but I still wanted to share a simple wreath that I threw together just before Christmas.  

Inspired by the other wreaths in IAVOM posts, I decided to wrap together some parthenocissus tricuspidata vines that had started to take over the front of our house.  These twisted together suprisingly well because they are quite small in diameter and flexible no tying necessary.  We don't have fir trees here in LaMancha, so the greenery I added is rosmarinus postrata, and the red hips are from rosa canina rootstock that grew after transplanting a rosebush.



I like the simple asymmetrical look with our old-fashioned Toledo oak door.  And, I am happy to find that, two weeks later, the rosemary has not dropped is "needles".  Of course, the door is north-facing, so I would not recommend it for a south-facing door.

Stop by Rambling in the Garden to see other In A Vase On Monday posts for more inspiration!


9 comentarios:

  1. Oh that does work well, Karen. Having flexible stems makes such a difference - althogh I use a thin wire ring as the basis for mine, I can just wrap ivy stems around it without having to wire them in

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Your wreath is so beautiful that it would be a shame not to enjoy it as long as possible.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I'm thinking of keeping it for as long as it looks decent, then perhaps adding new greenery. But once the spring heat comes around, its days will be numbered for sure!

      Eliminar
  3. This seasonal wreaths bring cheer to callers, and even the Postman....I love to make them for Easter, Mid Summer, Harvest Festival etc etc. The base of twigs does keep and is ideal for sticking in foliage and flowers. Your wreath is really pretty.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Nicely done! I'm impressed that you made your own base out of vines. I usually buy an evergreen wreath and embellish it with things like Magnolia stems, succulents and berries but I've never thought of using rosemary, something I have in abundance. Now if I can just remember that tip next December...

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks, Kris! To tell the truth, I was quite overwhelmed when I started with meters and meters of vines in my hands, but when I organized them with the ends together and started bending them to make a circle, it actually went more smoothly than I expected.

      I was thinking of trying adding succulents as the weather gets warmer, but wouldn't they need some sort of vessel to hold them? How do you do it?

      Eliminar
  5. I like this twiggy wreath. Great improvised greenery too. I'm sure you'll be able to keep the base and reuse it with other foliage or flowers.

    ResponderEliminar