lunes, 11 de marzo de 2019

Almond trees in bloom


Over the years, I have found that our almond trees can bloom anywhere from late January to early March.  I attribute this year's March bloom to our excessive drought this year.  I have also found that 'native' trees and nursery-bought specimens do not flower at the same time.

Native almond tree
A garden center almond tree
The native wild almond trees bloom first, yet their blossoms can often be affected by a winter freeze, or their flowers open before the pollinators are out, which is what usually happens in my garden.  As a result, my natives hardly ever produce much of a harvest.  The nursery-bred trees, however, flower anywhere from one to three weeks later, and they give a much better crop.



This year, though, our temps have been high, so some pollinators are already awake.



Will I have double the almonds this year?







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario