lunes, 16 de marzo de 2015

Bloom Day, March 2015

Once again, I am joining other garden bloggers for Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens, where bloggers from all over the world post photos of what is blooming in their gardens on the 15th of each month (yes, I know, I'm a day late).

Things have been moving quite slowly in my garden so far.  Plants are suffering because we have had virtually no rainfall whatsoever this winter.  The last precipitation I can remember was at the end of January when we had a snow flurry for about 5 minutes.  Since then, nothing, zip, zilch.  Absolutamente nada.  So, I've had to crank up the drip irrigation system quite early this year.  Of course, it has sprung two leaks, but that's to be expected.


Right now, I'm in love with my little almond tree, in its third spring.  
Can you see the almond trees in the background across the river?


They smell just like honey, and I was attacked by ants while taking these shots.

 After having the new walkway put in this year,
these are the only crocuses that came up.

The first daffodils, tucked under a Scotch broom.

Borage, and the calleryana pear just about to burst into bloom. 

Looks like we'll have new neighbors soon, so we've been scrambling to work on our privacy around the house.  

Yes, you can still get cheap labor, albeit an 11-year-old.
Never doubt the power of homemade brownies!

Wild almond trees across the stream


Happy almost spring!
 

7 comentarios:

  1. Dear Karen. No rain, that is bad news. I hope you have some soon. Your almond tree is gorgious! I have seen them ones in Canaria islamds. I think I have made à hundred pictures of the trees overthere. Happy garden bloggers bloom day! I like the after party! Groetjes, Hetty

    ResponderEliminar
  2. A beautiful almond tree! It has such a nice shape too.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Perfect the way your almond tree brings the distant ones into your garden, borrowed landscape working at its best. we've had normal rainfall this winter not like last winter when it rained all the time, and then didn't really stop during summer. It rained yesterday and is grey today so may rain again, I'm not complaining but it does all drain away very quickly.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. "Borrowed landscape". I like that term. Certain parts of my garden will be mainly "borrowed" native plants because the growing conditions are so tough and the soil so poor and shallow.

      Eliminar
  4. Your Almond tree is just gorgeous and I love how you have borrowed the landscape, as Christina has commented above. Brownies, any chocolatey snack does the trick don't they. I do similar with my nieces and they are always willing to lend a hand providing a snack is available afterwards.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Aren't I a bad mother? When he was two, he helped me move rocks for over an hour for a little bag of chips!

      Eliminar
  5. I remember seeing the almond trees in bloom in Southern Spain. Gorgeous. Love those Spanish almonds. What an incredible view you have.

    ResponderEliminar