domingo, 11 de noviembre de 2018

100 years

On the 100th anniversary of the end of Word War I, The Great War, the "War to End All Wars", I once again have been reflecting on the fate of so many young men and women who gave ther lives to preserve our freedom, among them my grandmother's cousin, Frank.

Cousin Frank was 22 and born in Massachusetts, but away at college when he enlisted with New York's 7th Infantry Regiment, often known as the "Silk Stocking Regiment" because the sons of many of Manhattan's socialites had also enlisted.  He was killed in battle towards the end of the war.

However, I had never been able to find where he was buried.  All of my online searches had come up empty.  Until today.  Searching once again, I have just been able to find Cousin Frank's gravesite at the Somme American Cemetery in Bony, Aisne, France.  The Find A Grave website provided a photo and a description:

"He was awarded the Distinguished Medal for service for bravery and determination of action under heavy machine gunfire during the attack on the Hindenburg Line, during the Battle of Saint-Quentin Canal in the vicinity of Bony, Departement de l'Aisne, Picardie, France." - Find a Grave

I feel better now that I know where he was buried, and I know that one day I will visit his grave.  You see, I believe that both my mother's and my middle names are Frances for a reason.








4 comentarios:

  1. Such a sad thing that so many valuable young men were lost or forever maimed. I'm glad you were able to find Frances' grave, a quest completed.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. It's horrible that so many lives were lost. How I wish that our species could evolve beyond killing each other. What a special gift for the day that you were able to locate your Cousin Frank's grave.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Unfortunately, lately it seems like we're evolving… backwards.

      Eliminar