jueves, 15 de noviembre de 2018

Bloom Day - November 2018

The sky has been cloudy this month and the fog has crept up the river from Toledo most mornings, so these photos were taken in mad dashes yesterday when the sun peeked out its head.  What a tease, that sun!

William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare is my favorite red rose.  Red?  Well, someplace between red and magenta, but its most appealing attribute is its scent.


Benjamin Britten 
I am pleased with this photo because it shows the progression of colors that Benjamin Britten is capable of producing, but in the summer the flowers are too fleeting to appreciate.  From bits of yellow, to coral, to a purpley-red, BB has got it all - with a fruity scent to boot!


Charles Darwin
In my garden and in its current location, Charles Darwin is a bit of a meek producer.  However, it is healthy and I love the color of its blooms, so it is a keeper.


?
Chrysanthemums in Spain are sold for All Saints' Day on November 1, so you will probably never see them in a garden as they are associated with cemeteries and funerals.  However, I have always loved chrysanthemums becuase of the color they bring to the fall garden.  I have several, which can be grown as perennials here.  Unfortunately, though, they are sold here sans ID.


La Sevillana
La Sevillana has been flowering since May.  She is such a hard worker.  I should probably pay more attention to her.  Ay, if only she smelled as lovely as she looks...


Podranea ricasoliana

Salvia microphylla


Winchester Cathedral
Heritage

If you have been paying attention, then you know that I do not care for the color pink.  So, what is Heritage doing in my garden?  Well, I planted this rose to commemorate the birth of my niece, Katie, exactly 7 years ago today.  



Happy Birthday, Katie!!!





And happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day to everyone!  Stop by May Dreams Gardens to see what's blooming in everyone elses' gardens.




15 comentarios:

  1. What beautiful roses - my favorite was Winchester Cathedral. Perhaps the snow outside my window put me in the mood for white! Interesting that mums are associated with funerals - for a long time, I remember, glads were where I live, but not any more! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Snow already?! We usually get a dusting or two in Feb/Mar, but nothing more. I miss having a White Christmas.

      Eliminar
  2. Roses are gorgeous... in other people's gardens! They are a lot of work, work I'd rather spend on other things! I have the one old lavender one that was here when I moved in (Sterling Silver?) and a couple climbers I planted that are doing poorly, of course. My mother had lots of them. I guess it's probably my soil, and my patience.
    My favorite from long ago she grew was Picture. It was pink! I loved the names, like World's Fair Salute and Tropicana, her favorite. They smelled so nice.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Lisa, believe me, if the roses took too much of my time, I would not have so many! I am quite a laissez-faire gardener. If something does not grow well, I get rid of it (the camelias went to my MIL, the cannas to a friend, etc.). Plus, I am in business for myself (no vacations) while raising two teens (basketball mom + chauffeur), so I really don't have the time to give plants any special care. I simply prune in February, then apply compost and that's it! Most of my garden is on a drip irrigation system, and I use absolutely no chemicals in my garden - 100% organic, except for a granulated insecticide I sprinkle on the biting red ant hills that are close to the house. Roses, just like any plant, when given the right soil and growing conditions, take care of themselves quite well.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Eliminar
  3. Beautiful shots of Roses,pretty little snapdragons are remarkable.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Gorgeous roses! So much still blooming in your garden. Happy GBBD!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Whatever their colors are, roses are always roses, meaning lovely and special. That white variety looks so delicate.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. The White, Winchester Cathedral, is quite a toughie! No diseases and no special care. WC (what a name!) produces flowers from May to November, although I Will say that it is looking a bit long-legged now and ready for a good prune.

      Eliminar
  6. How lovely to have these gorgeous roses looking so good in November. I love them all but Will Shakespeare is my favourite.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Have you got a Will in your garden, Chloris? I'll have to keep an eye out for him.

      Eliminar
  7. Lovely roses Karin. It seems like summer in your garden. I have a lot of (pink) roses in flower but I will not bother telling you how pretty they are! Groetjes,
    hetty

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Beautiful roses! I've got W. Shakespeare 2000, a lovely rose too. 'Rouge Royale' which might be called 'Alain Souchon' or 'Caruso' in the EU is similar is another similar beauty. Too bad La Sevillana has not fragrance, such a happy color--but roses should have fragrance...

    Not familiar with Podranea ricasoliana; had to look it up. Interesting plant.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes, I had Alain Souchon years ago when we lived elsewhere. But, like most French roses marketed here (Meilland, etc), it had the right shape, right color and climate tolerability, but very little scent. Needless to say, it did not make the move to our new garden.

      Eliminar